Monday, June 15, 2015

Native Vision, and the first of the repeats

This weekend was Native Vision, an annual camp for native kids to learn about public speaking, and dealing with bullies, and the value of hard work, and nutrition, and exercise, and all the good breaking-the-cycle stuff disadvantaged children should learn.
Watching this Jamaican woman lecture a bunch of Navajo kids about coming to America for opportunity was awesome.
It was held at the local high school, which was, you know, a high school.

Complete with high-quality vandalism.
I was there in a "first aid" capacity, which I mostly thought would involve bandaids and ice packs.  And it did, mostly.

Some of these kids lacked the motor control to jump, which is baffling.

I also did some ankle manips, wrapped a few more ankles, carried a little girl to the nurse for fear she had a broken ankle... I guess I mostly just messed with ankles.

I'm not normally a backwards-cap guy, but the sun was behind me all day...

Overall, it was an excellent event. I think some of the kids came out better for it, which is about all you could ask. I'm sure I'll be too busy or too far away to come back and help out in the future, but maybe I can swing something.  It's supposedly in Oklahoma next year.

After Native vision, we drove to Durango, CO where there was a macaroni and cheese festival. It was incredible, and there are no pictures due to rain, and knowledge that a festival involving unlimited macaroni and cheese and beer is not suitable for photography.  One way or another, everyone will be looking their worst.

A quick nap/faceplant in what is undoubtedly the shittiest hotel in all of Durango, the Days End:

Seriously, avoid this place. The night desk guy is a real dick when you ask him where the hot tub is at 10PM.
We make my first repeat of this trip, back to Mesa Verde, to hit a good hike on the way back to Shiprock.

Oh look, clouds. I wonder if it will rain?

I wish I could own a mesa. Is that a thing?

Jordan can be silly.

Jordan can be happy.

Krista can be introspective.

Krista can be giggly.

Ari...

Ari only has one mood.

We all thought he was about to do a headstand on a 100' sheer cliff.

Re: rain?  Yes.

This view makes me want to hang glide.

This view makes me wonder what I've done to deserve all this.

To deserve these people.

From the ashes of a ruined tree: flowers.

I'm glad my outfit matches the flowers I stopped to smell.

Highly recommend the Prater Ridge Trail.

Highly recommend mountains.

Highly recommend outside.
I collect interesting people.  I've always thought so.  I don't know how I manage it, I don't know what force brings them to me, but it seems I am always surrounded by the exceptional, the outstanding.  My time here is quickly drawing to a close.  A few more adventures, a few more challenges, and then I'll return home, to the things I know, and to even more experiences I can't possibly predict.  But while I've been here, I've somehow managed to pick up new friends. I am flying through these three months on the wings of Keeping Really Busy and the novelty of getting to know new people.

Simple caution makes me wonder if optimism is somehow cheating, if I'm setting myself up to fail.  But I think not, based on current evidence.  Because life keeps rewarding me for giving more and more of myself to expecting the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment