Monday, June 8, 2015

Staying safe

I think most of what I do is to stay safe, but obviously the definition of safe changes from minute to minute.

On my way to Taos, I saw a few hitchhikers.  They looked like nice people, and I am usually quick to help out someone in need.  I didn't stop, though.  And as I didn't stop, my thought was "nobody is expecting me home for days," which is a thought that travels down a couple interesting paths:

1) I believe there is a possibility, however slight, that the hitchhiker I pick up could waylay me in some fashion.  This much is obvious to anyone, and is certainly the #1 reason most people don't pick up hitchhikers, but I think it behooves us as people to really consider the reasons we neglect the needy, and be specific about it.  There is a possibility the hitchhiker is a serial killer, or just a strung-out addict, who would stab me and take my car and all that is inside it.

2) A major consideration is how long I could be missing before somebody thought it was odd.  This is one I don't know that many people consider, I think it's come with various rural/outdoor adventures - people knowing when you'll be back in touch is important when you can't communicate in the interim.


Anyway. I didn't pick up any hitchhikers. I'm sure various people are relieved by that fact.

Maybe they just wanted to try a novel way of getting back to this amazingly-placed home!

The night before the race, I camped on USFS land, specifically at the Lower Hondo campground in Carson National Forest on the road up to Taos Ski Valley. It is likely the closest good campsite to Taos, if you're in the area and wondering. It is free and wonderful, and I just wanted to give a shoutout to the USFS for being generally awesome. One of so many reasons America is the greatest nation is our Lands of Many Uses.

This view brought to you by the Carson National Forest.
The race went well. I pushed myself really, really hard, because there was a guy there with a mohawk and a fish-print tanktop who I just couldn't stay in front of, and I made him my nemesis.  After the race (I did end up beating him, by a good few minutes), we shook hands and I thanked him for his unwitting motivation.  I broke the 2-hour mark, which maybe is starting to convince me I'm a runner.  I have a few more races I want to do this year, and we'll see what happens.

I love competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment