Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sunburned and Sore Feet

The signs of a good hike, according to this woman:

When you have to hike 4 miles to get to a sign that warns of a tough hike ahead, trust that sign.
And I needed a good hike.  It was that or a long run, and I liked the sound of a long day in the sun.  So we went to Sand Canyon, which was a little sandy, and a little canyon-y.

And pretty, which is important. I'm very superficial when it comes to appreciating nature.

It is a real joy to have a Good Hiking Partner.  Good conversation when it's time to talk, and no sound at all when it's time to consider just how quiet it is on the trail.

I don't know what sound he makes.  Lizards could be good hiking partners.

I like to engage new people, get them talking.  I like to listen.  I wonder if I'm digging, to see if they're the kind of person I would like to add to my collection.

Do other people put as much thought into making friends?

That sun.

A sign of a Good Hiking Partner: Looks contemplative without prompting.

Somehow I managed to not get stabbed by any pokey plants.

Someone should knock down these outdated homes and put up condos.

Then, because enough is rarely enough for me, and we had the opportunity to add a third to our merry duo, we went back out for a quick 6-mile loop the next day.
Long sleeves > Sunscreen

Rock Creek Trail unsurprisingly was both rocky and (dry) creek-y. Simple but effective naming out here.

Cactus blooms.

I'm not slow, I'm just waiting for my feet to catch up.


I told some stories on the trail.  One I don't remember where I learned, but I learned it a long time ago, and it's changed a dozen times since. This was my best telling.  One I heard from a friend, I assume.  I remember hearing the second half of the story, which I haven't yet told.  The second half brings back the first half of the story in my mind, but I don't remember ever hearing it told.

The hot summer winds will blow me back to the valley.




No comments:

Post a Comment