Thursday, April 16, 2015

Ya’at’eeh

Ya’at’eeh - Hello in Navajo. At this rate I'll be fluent by the time my grandchildren are at space college.

I'm finished with my first week, and I'm at the stage where my incoherent thoughts are finally starting to turn into baby thoughts, and eventually hopefully turn into ideas and opinions.

First off, here's my room:



It is a little sparse, to be sure, but it has everything I need.  No roommate, which is nice, because then I can lounge about in my short shorts without fear of judgement.

There's a mini fridge with a tiny freezer that barely freezes ice, a microwave, a table, a giant couch, a sink, and a bathroom that has hot water nearly 50% of the time.  Lots of closet space, too.  No oven, no toaster, nothing with a heating element, which makes dinner interesting sometimes. Maybe I'll post my microwave masterpieces as they develop.

About work:

I'm working with a PT named Melissa Schosser, who seems pretty great so far.  She's a relatively new grad, and has been practicing about 3 years.  She is Navajo, but was raised in Flagstaff, so she claims she doesn't speak the language very well - a baldfaced lie as I learned today.  We work from 7:30-10 in outpatient, then 10-12:30 inpatient.  1-3:30 outpatient, and 3:30-5 inpatient, Monday through Thursday.  In that time we fit 8 outpatient patients (half-hour slots, 45 minutes for evals) and however many inpatient patients happen to be there.  I'll talk more about the treatment philosophy here as the experience goes on, for sure.

There are 3 other full-timers, a contract PT, an OT, and an SPT.  There's also a tech who's been there so long they grandfathered her into being a PTA, which is pretty cool. 

All the full-timers are Public Health Service Corps. I'll probably do a whole post on that - it's a pretty cool gig.

Sorry for the long post with so few pictures. I'll make it up to you this weekend, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment